The purpose of the résumé is to help get you an interview.
- And at the interview, remember that 40 percent of a hiring decision is based on personality.
- No more than two pages. The average résumé gets read in 10 seconds
- Avoid the fancy-schmancy layout, font, and other special effects. Stick to traditional font of Times New Roman, 9 to 12 point size
- Use simple Word format
- List your present, or most recent job, first, and then work backwards
- Begin with verbs. “Managed company tax reporting, finance, invoicing, purchasing
- Stories sell. Numbers, statistics, percentages get attention if you put in bold type.Increased profit by this 28%. Came under budget by 30%. If you were born and raised on chicken farm, note it on your résumé.
- Use words that refer to titles- customer service, controller, manager, accountant,
Getting interviews is hard work. It requires tenacity, persistence, determination, and courage to thrust yourself upon people, even if that doesn’t come naturally to you. No one likes being rejected. The sooner you face this reality and prepare for rejection, the sooner you will be able to find a job.
Some more tips from: Forbes