This week my favourite post is by Mitch Joel:
Mitch was named Canada’s Most Influential Male in Social Media, one of the top 100 online marketers in the world, and was awarded the highly prestigious Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 (recognizing individuals who have achieved a significant amount of success but have not yet reached the age of 40). In 2010, Marketing Magazine named Twist Image one of the Top 10 agencies in Canada (and the only digital marketing pure-play to make the list).
SOCIAL MEDIA IS A BIG WASTE OF TIME!
“Social media is no different. In fact, it’s not even social media as entirety. We’ve seen instances where Facebook has been accused of wasting millions of dollars on being a time suck. The same has happened with YouTube and Twitter (more on that here: Gigaom – News Flash: Your Employees are Wasting Time on the Internet). We’re always quick to blame the technology and not the people. I always argue that those who are not wasting their time on YouTube (because a company has blocked it) have probably figured out something else to do to waste their time (hint: they’re not happy and energized to be doing their jobs … it’s not YouTube).”
Social media is only a waste of time if you’re using it to waste your time.
“It’s not because it’s a slight against online social networks that I’m upset (or because I base part of my business livelihood on the success of social media as a marketing channel), but we have to meet the people who lump “reading” and their “jobs” as their “biggest waste of time.” Wasting your time should probably be defined as an activity that requires nothing proactive, while utilizing minimal effort and with even less of a valued outcome in terms of overall life benefit. But, if you look at social media like that, you’re missing the point entirely.”
“Social Media causing such a huge societal change that we can’t even begin to imagine the implications, so we have decide to ignore it or pass it off as a time waster, or is the reality something much bigger that we – as the business leaders of today – must begin to grasp and embrace?”
- How Facebook Updates Would Look in Real Life [VIDEO] on.mash.to/13pDen6 via @mashable 1 week ago
- RT @GarthRhoda: A "virtual criminal flash mob" steals $45 million from banks m.news24.com/fin24/Economy/… 1 week ago
- RT @myHPSA: HP Becomes First Company on LinkedIn to Hit 1 Million Followers on.mash.to/Z02s5Y via @mashable @art2gee 1 week ago
- RT @shapshak: 30% of airline passengers don't off gadgets for take-off or landing: "no proof these affect a plane’s avionics" http://t.co/u… 1 week ago
- RT @jamaaludeen: Online marketing and how it influences your sales pipeline dld.bz/c52kj 1 week ago
- Back on Twitter after 2 weeks. I'm a father now, what an amazing feeling. To all mothers, I SALUTE you! 1 week ago
- Eating Etiquette in Islam by Islamographic.com - view full Islamographic here - please share... tmblr.co/ZyZAHvjpUXy2 2 weeks ago
- RT @oLlivlop: Photo: islamographic: Speak Good or Remain Silent inshallah! tmblr.co/Z8V3xujZwMQq 3 weeks ago
- RT @GuyKawasaki: The top ten mistakes of entrepreneurs youtu.be/HHjgK6p4nrw 3 weeks ago
- RT @GuyKawasaki: 2,000 years of continental climate change explored buff.ly/ZOwB8n A comprehensive new analysis of... http://t.co/… 3 weeks ago
- RT @bkmacdaddy: A Set Of Free #Wordpress Themes That Actually Look Good bit.ly/13qse7q 3 weeks ago
- RT @MaxBlumenthal: "the US has...constructed a separate and profoundly unequal system of...punishment that...applies only to Muslims" http:… 3 weeks ago
- RT @GuyKawasaki: Great story about being black in China is.gd/zU0XpU 3 weeks ago
- RT @yaseend: “A Manager's Manifesto” by @joulee medium.com/the-year-of-th… 3 weeks ago
- “Contractors” at Boston Marathon Stood Near Bomb, Left Before Detonation - infowars.com/contractors-at… 4 weeks ago
- RT @GuyKawasaki: Photo essay of a Syrian refugee camp in Mrajeeb al-Fhood, Jordan is.gd/JlsVIE 1 month ago